Why is Smudging Important?
Burning Sage & Palo Santo, or smudging, is more than a modern trend. This ancient ritual has been practiced around the world for thousands of years.
Sage releases negative ions and has been found to clear 94% of bacteria in the air. White Sage, in particular, is rich in compounds that stimulate certain receptors in the brain responsible for elevating mood levels, reducing stress and even enhancing intuition.
Palo Santo, or Holy Wood, is native to Ecuador, Peru and the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico. It has been used for thousands of years to treat headaches, anxiety, depression, and reduce inflammation.
When you burn Palo Santo, you are working to move positive energy and creativity back into yourself and space your in.
When you burn sage, you are moving out energy that doesn't serve you - restoring balance and peace within yourself and the space your in.
How to Smudge Your Space:
- set your intention for cleansing. For example, "I let go of the anger that no longer serves me".
- light your Sage or Palo Santo at an angle, light the end and and gently blow it out once smoke starts to form
- walk around the corners of your space allow the smoke to waft around while repeating your intention to yourself
- when you're ready, press the burning tip firmly into a fireproof vessel, or sand until there is no smoke.
- open the windows to let the stale energy out